Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sorry....It's been a while

So now I've moved on to another craft.... I have discovered weaving. Many years ago I got bunches of crates of craft stuff. Tons of goodies. Anyway, I had picked through and have had everything else stored away for years. I decided to go through it a few days ago and found these little hand looms called Weave-It's and books from the 1930's. So I had to investigate and learn. And so the addiction begins....Im soaking in everything I can, makeing many, many squares with different patterns and colors. Maybe one day I'll put them all together and have a huge blanket or something. From one of the Ravelry groups I belong to, I ended up with what I see as the next step up in learning.... it's actually made as a childs toy, however it mimics a rigid heddle loom.....which is the next step.







You may recognize the Troll doing the weaving. It's one of the Trolls that I sculpt. You can also see some Jiffy hand looms behind him. They were also in one of the crates, but I don't like them. The teeth pop out a lot and I hear they break easy. I haven't broken any teeth on them yet. I'm going to modify them some how. Maybe even take out the teeth and replace them with nice finishing nails. I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

So, I mentioned rigid heddle looms. A nice new one the size, brand and stlye I want isn't cheap. I want to expand my capabilities and skills. So now there is a new goodie on it's way to me. It's in between what I have and what I want, but still more advanced than what I have now. It will enable me to have fun and learn much more so that I will be ready for the rigid heddle loom I'm drooling over. Here's a picture of it. It's never been used or assembled, and it isn't assembled in the picture either.


I can't wait to get to play with this. It is 25" wide. Im thinking that I can bead on it tooooooo. This is a bit closer to a rigid heddle loom. Think of the fabrics that can be made.... I was watching the travel channel and they were showing folks in Africa and Peru using incredible looms, changing colors and patterns so fast you couldn't see what they were doing. And the colors!! Such talent and skill. Im so excited. I just know that I can incorporate this into my many other crafts some how.
More again soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome all of your comments and ideas. After all, how else do we learn and improve?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home