Thursday, November 13, 2008

A new toy

Hello again
I'ts me, the lazy blogger.

Lots to share. I will start with the new members of the family... The cockatiel eggs have hatched, so I have 5 little yellow fuzzballs













They get weighed regularly, this is the youngest who is only 4 days old. How adorable is that?? Now that the oldest chick is a week old, Razz and Ivan have chilled out a bit. They don't mind me cleaning out the nestbox, or quickly checking everyone. Put some pasta in the food dish for them and you can do anything you want to the chicks! Silly birds.
I have yet another new toy! It's the ugliest thing ever, but it does what it is supposed to do, and it does it well, so I can't complain. Introducing......

My new Pinkie spinning wheel, by Babe's Fiber Garden

Yes, it's made of PVC pipe. It weighs 4lbs and can be lifted by your Pinkie....get it?! It isn't pretty, but it works. It is also inexpensive. Their company motto is Function before Form. I have spun single and 2 ply yarns in various weights with it and it goes well. It's also able to fit in the front seat of my Honda Civic to easily go to classes, workshops or wherever you want to spin!

This is what I started with. I got some wonderful handpainted Roving from a talented fiber artist named Maiysha. This is called Clover and Peonies. She has an Etsy Shop, Zebisisdesigns
Not only does she make beautiful hand dyed and handpainted fibers but she also has Drop Spindles made of gorgeous stone like Tiger Eye and Malichite. You really should check out her store.


So I took this neat roving, pre drafted it and spun my little fingers off.
















Nice, full bobibn of soft single. Hey Maiysha....I NEED MORE!!
Crud, the picture is sideways! This is my basic drop spindle, made by Louet. I decided that because of space restrictions, I shouldn't be flinging a spindle off my leg and through the air. I ordered a Spindolyn from Knitting Anyay I buy alot of machine knitting items from Catherine, so I went straight to her site for a new spindle. The spindolyn isn't dropped, it can be propped in your pocket or sit on your lap while kicking back watching TV. It's a quill supported spindle. It has already been mailed so I should get it before Saturday. I will of course post pictures and let you know how it goes. I'm looking forward to it because sometimes I just don't want to go into the other room and spin. It'll be fun. I'll be able to take it to appointments where I'm stuck in a waiting room or while waiting for my kids etc. It's also good for fine fibers that would break on the regular drop spindle I have now. It's for thicker use.
More soon
T

1 Comments:

At November 14, 2008 at 1:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, look at them! They are SO tiny!! What fun!

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome all of your comments and ideas. After all, how else do we learn and improve?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home